Posts from — April 2013
Emerald green is the Pantone color of the year. What does that mean? It means that emerald green will be all over the stores come fall. I love the color!
April 30, 2013 Comments Off on Emerald Green
Unless you live in a big city, it’s hard to wear some of the edgier trends without looking like a fashion victim. That or you stick out like a sore thumb, so you have to be confident about your choices. Here are some ways to wear some of the latest trends in a tamer way.
1. Instead of leather leggings try coated or waxed jeans. Not only are they cheaper than leather but they give the same look in a way that doesn’t scream… well… leather. For summer, try them in a mint green or pale blue. They come in all kinds of finishes from lightly coated to waxy shine. Wear these with a slouchy tee shirt and ankle boots or with an untucked blouse, scarf and ballerina flats.
2. Think Pops of Neon and Brights. Vivid colors are still in. Don’t want to stand out in a sea of black but still want to be on trend? Think pastels like mint, a gorgeous tangerine, electric pink, lemony greens or cobalt blue. A statement bag in a bright color will make any outfit pop. Try a bright top tamed by neutral bottoms and accessories, or an all-black outfit with a hot pink belt and lime-green necklace. In small doses these bright colors will give your outfit some personality.
3. Patterned Jeans. From florals to leopards, patterned and colored jeans are huge this year. Since these jeans make a statement of their own, go simple on top. Or, tone them down with a structured blazer in a solid color. The other option is to go subtle with the print. Try a pastel print or a cool tone-on-tone. No matter what, rock them with confidence!
April 27, 2013 Comments Off on 3 Trends for the Trend-phobic
As I’ve expressed, I am in love with the mint green that is all the rage this spring. I actually was ready to get rid of these espadrilles as I figured pastels would be “out,” and I haven’t worn them in over a year. I’m glad I kept them; they feel fresh to me now!
And, my son actually let me take a picture of him. Love my boy!
April 21, 2013 Comments Off on Minty Fresh
No more cooler weather for us, it’s shorts season in Florida. I love these leather shorts for a casual dinner out. I think they would look awesome with a tangerine tank as well.
I had two little helpers this day. Sofia and her friend Ava posed for the blog and had fun “modeling” their dinner outfits.
April 20, 2013 Comments Off on Dressing Up Shorts
After wearing the white blazer with the denim skirt, I decided to try it with jeans. I like this look much better. The proportion is better.
April 19, 2013 Comments Off on White Blazer Part 2
I can’t say this turned out quite like I wanted it to. The white blazer is just a bit too long and it looks like a doctor coat! White shoes are hot this spring and summer. I like these because they’re more of an off-white.
April 18, 2013 Comments Off on Paging the Doctor
I admit—I have champagne tastes. I think of my clothing as individual works of art, which is why I really love designer items. I tend to be drawn to the mid-priced, yet edgy, designer labels such as Vince, Rebecca Taylor, Rebecca Minkoff, Helmut Lang and more. But, mid-priced designer is still expensive. I never pay full price.
The truth is that finding deals is a sport. You have to be willing to put some work into it. For me, fashion is a passion. I pull pages out of magazines, scour blogs and check out new arrivals from my fave designers. The key is to have a short list of what you’re looking for.
Here are some strategies for stalking designer items so you can snatch them when they go on sale.
1. Shopstyle by POPSUGAR. This site allows you to tag favorites and be notified when they go on sale. Each day you’ll get an email with sales items from your favorite designers. Many times I’ll spot an item in a magazine, go to this site, tag it and wait for it to go on sale. I generally won’t buy a more expensive item until it goes 50 percent. Sure, I’ve lost out on some things I’ve really wanted, but it helps me from impulsive shopping, so the trade off is worth it.
Another shopping site to watch: Lyst
2. eBay. Sometimes eBay sellers will carry items currently in stores. Most times these prices are cheaper than buying from a traditional retailer. I go to eBay for past season items that I missed out on, basics (I love how soft Vince tee shirts are) and classic items such as jeans and blazers.
3. TJ Maxx. Our local TJ Maxx has a great selection of designer items. I’ve seen Diane Von Furstenberg, Vince and Theory recently. Always search the perimeter of the clothing section as that’s where they keep the better merchandise. But, don’t forget the sales racks. I recently got a Theory mint green sweater for $10 that was on the clearance rack.
4. Nordstrom Rack. OMG! This place is heaven. Plan on spending at least an hour going through the racks and trying things on. Skip the stuff in the front and head straight to the clearance racks. There you’ll find seasonal deals on designer items. They have a great selection of dresses, shoes and tops. They also have some jewelry deals. I’ve seen Alexis Bittar bangles and earrings for less than half price.
Check back soon as I reveal some of my other shopping strategies.
April 17, 2013 Comments Off on 4 Places to Snag Designer Deals
Now, this is about $3,000 worth of clothing and accessories. Keep checking back as I’m going to reveal some of my secrets for scoring these items cheaper.
Click on the picture above to find out the brands and prices of the items pictured.
April 16, 2013 Comments Off on I’m Obsessed: Spring/Summer Trends
Wearing black and white is a popular trend right now, although I’m not sure this classic combo ever goes out of style. I added the statement necklace to add some interest to the outfit. Mint green is an obsession of mine now!
April 15, 2013 Comments Off on Mix it Up
When I spot a good deal I want to share it with the world! Designer brand Alice & Olivia is known for its adorable and practical cady cuff shorts. Alas, they are expensive. Like, $187 expensive.
Fear not, Target has a version that is just as cute, promise! But, they’re a whole lot cheaper at $17.99 a pair. Check them out.
The Target shorts come in six colors including mint, coral and turquoise. I love them because they are the perfect length to wear with heels or flats.
April 14, 2013 Comments Off on Get It For Less: Alice & Olivia Cady Cuff Shorts