Buying Over the Knee Boots
I envy girls who can effortlessly wear dresses. I have a hard time finding the right mix of casual and comfortable. I’m not so sure this one is all that flattering but it was comfortable.
Magpie Styling Tip: Over the knee boots are still a worthwhile investment, as long as you go casual and not hooker. Now is the time to buy them–end of the season clearance. When buying, there are a couple tips I have:
1. Go flat. Forget the heel. In order to get some wear out of these boots, flat is the way to go. First of all, it eliminates the hooker vibe.
2. Height. There are so many choices here, but I think a boot that hits just above the knee and not to mid-thigh is more flattering, especially to shorter girls.
3. Material. The boots I have are leather, and they pull on. They have elastic in the back, making the fit tight to my leg. I like that, it’s almost like wearing leggings.
What to wear them with:
• A casual dress and tights (like above)
• A wool skirt with blouse, leather jacket
• Jeans and a slouchy sweater
• An above the knee dress with no tights: this look is harder to pull off depending on the boots you get. In the above picture, I could go without tights and it would look fine. Magpie Styling Tip: The key is in the length of the dress. You always want a gap between the hem of the dress and the top of the boot.
Really, these can be worn just like you’d wear your knee-high boots. However, I recommend you save the over the knee for those slouchy, comfy outfits. I like mine best with skinny jeans and a slouchy sweater.
Want more? I offer more tips and examples in this post on how to wear over-the-knee boots.
What do you think about over-the-knee boots? Love them or leave them?