Posts from — April 2011
I’ve gotten away from posting what I’m wearing on just regular days. I always struggle more in the warmer weather. I wear shorts, but don’t feel very fashionable in them. But, I just don’t have a lot of skirts or casual dresses, so I default to the shorts.
The Outfit Deets
Top: J Crew (2009 or 10)
Shorts: Gap Denim (2009)
Belt: Banana Republic (very old)
Shoes: Steve Madden
Sunglasses: DVF Aviators via ebay
April 28, 2011 2 Comments
Hope you had a lovely Easter or Passover! I bought this dress last year and wore it for one of my son’s graduation-from-8th-grade events. However, I wore it with black sandals. I think these citron sandals really make it pop. I wore them only once before with a black leather dress in this blog post and was thrilled to pull them out again!
The Outfit Deets
Dress: Trina Turk via NM Last Call
Bracelets: Priya Kakkar via Gilt
Shoes: DVF Eva Suede with Silk Ankle Wraps in Citron
Toe Nail Polish: Chanel in Robin Egg Blue
April 25, 2011 1 Comment
Thought you were going to read about studly men diving through the coral, then serving me tea? Sorry, my life isn’t that exciting! A few of the moms from school got together for tea with the girls yesterday. I wanted something summery feeling since the weather has been so warm. I got this skirt from White House/Black Market last year at the end of the season so I never wore it.
The Outfit Deets
Tee Shirt: J Crew
Skirt: (2010) White House/Black Market (love the silver leather and stud design!)
Necklace: Banana Republic (2009)
Espadrilles: Banana Republic (2007)
Bracelets: Turquoise link from Angela Caputi and the coral and turquoise is from Target
And this is what happens when I take pictures. My daughter, who doesn’t like people looking at her, loves to jump in and out of the picture! She also advises me on poses and requested that I do the cross leg pose. 🙂
April 21, 2011 4 Comments
PLAYGROUND Magazine Invites Families to the 3rd Annual PLAYGROUND
Music & Arts Fest
Free Family Fun for Everyone
Sunday, May 1, 2011 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Lake Eola, Downtown Orlando
PLAYGROUND Magazine, along with Publix, the Orange
County Arts Education Center, LEGOLAND, the Early Learning Coalition of Orange
County, Starving Artist Studios, the Master Class Academy, After Hours Pediatrics, Green
Parent Association, and the City of Orlando is psyched to be hosting the 3rd Annual
PLAYGROUND Music & Arts Fest. This sensory-stimulating, uber-cool, hands-on, FREE
family event is the only one of its kind in Central Florida.
The festival will showcase over 150 exhibitors allowing families to experience a day chockfull
of interactive experiences that will fuel their creative minds as well as peruse an
incredible selection of summer camp options.
Fixate your eyes on some killer musical acts and high-energy entertainment. Get you boogie
on with Davey Rocker. Witness American’s Got Talent’s Top Ten Finalist – Marlee
Hightower from Studio One Young Beast Society perform an astonishing routine.
Sit front row as hip-hop superstar Chingy judges our Triple Threat competition at 1PM, then
performs his newest kid-friendly single Superhero in support of the national anti-bullying
campaign, Hereos in the Hallway; brought to you by Starving Artist Studios.
Auditorily Engage at the LEGOLAND-sponsored Main Stage, DJ’d by DJ Digital, where
you can enjoy an all-day concert comprised of some of the most incredibly talented artists
and musicians Central Florida has to offer. Take part in the Triple Threat: Sing, Dance, Play
competition (a la Glee) presented by The Orange County Arts Education Center. Test your
percussion skills in one of the drum circles. Jam out to Florida’s breakout pop-rock band,
Lily and the Tigers.
Design a Masterpiece at any (or all) of the exciting arts and crafts workshops. Get in touch
with your inner-Picasso as you sketch an image to hang on the ‘fridge. Have a go at the Spin
Art station. Erect a sky-high structure at the mega Lego Play area. Take a stab at your B-boy
(or girl) skills at the breakdancing workshop. Have a jumping good time on the mobile
Taste buds will explode while you sample scrumptious snacks. Fill your bellies with healthy
and yummy treats from Wholesome Tummies. Satisfy your sweet tooth with a refreshing
Italian ices. Chow down on fair fare at the Fuzziwig’s Candy Factory concession stand.
The aroma of fresh Spring air will put you in the right frame of mind to be environmentally
conscious and explore Green Street. Our nature-friendly zone is dedicated to all things ecochic.
Join in the beauty and wonder of the butterfly release and wander through the naturefriendly
Lake Eola Farmers Market.
What do you get when you blend music, art, and fashion? Why, the Fused Fashion Zone of
course! Visit the fashion-forward area where you can become part of an edgy magazine cover
shoot. Get glam with funky hair and makeup, pick out some kiddie couture, and have your
pictures taken on-site – just like a supermodel!
A portion of the proceeds from sponsorships will go to three local charities, which will also
be raising funds at the event: Runway To Hope, Make-a-Wish, and Apple-A-Day.
April 20, 2011 Comments Off on Free on May 1?
After seeing this picture of Gabrielle Union on FabSugar, click here, (and after hearing about another friend who got a version of this outfit for her birthday) I decided to put together my own version of the white with caramel trend. I love this look as it’s so crisp and chic. Of course, it’s already too hot for me to actually wear my leather jackets, so I wore this sans jacket. After I took the pictures, I felt like the all-white was a little boring so I added some colorful bracelets.
Now, you should know that I wore this to Sunday School, which my friend, Adrea, said was very brave considering our class is all 4 and 5 year olds. I managed to get through stain free until lunch when my daughter, after being told to keep her fruit punch away from me, decided to dip her finger in the drink and then touch my blouse. ::sigh:: Thankfully, it came out…
The Outfit Deets
Jacket: Ann Taylor (old, like from 2001)
Blouse: Ann Taylor Loft (2011)
Pants: Banana Republic (2010)
Shoes: BCBG Generation via Marshalls
Belt: Ann Taylor Loft
Bracelets: I added these later, Turquoise link by Angela Caputi and plastic bangle from Tinka’s Closet
Purse: Vintage Clutch via Etsy
April 18, 2011 1 Comment
You can find the rules to fashion everywhere: Don’t wear white after Labor Day; no mini skirts after age 40; skinny jeans are only for skinny people; never mix navy and black, blah, blah, blah. The truth is that developing your personal style sometimes means breaking the rules. And, these days, more designers are breaking the rules, making it more fashionable than ever to be defiant! Break these rules:
1. No white. When you live in Florida, or other warm-climate places, the white comes out way before Memorial Day. Nothing looks chicer than a pair of white jeans with a colorful tunic and some espadrilles. And, the shoe thing, whatevs. Honestly, there aren’t many white shoes that I’ll wear; I just don’t like them. But, I have a pair of white and silver sandals that I wore a few weeks ago..so there! Personally, I think a nude shoe is a better choice if you’re looking for something to wear with your white. The same goes for white purses, use them year round!
Magpie Styling Tip: Find a chic, white eyelet or lace dress to wear for summer events. It’s way in right now, but even better, doesn’t ever really go out of style.
2. No Minis after 40. OK, I do get this one, kinda. Micro minis and even those short minis that hit a little bit before mid thigh aren’t flattering on anyone who isn’t 5’10” and 120 lbs and they make older women look like they’re reliving their glory days. Save them for the beach. However, a skirt that hits mid-thigh (but make sure it doesn’t hit at the biggest part of your thigh) is perfectly acceptable. If you’re a little shy about wearing a skirt that short, put on a pair of tights. And, a fuller skirt should be a tad longer or it throws off your proportions.
Magpie Styling Tip: Buy it big. If I feel a dress or a skirt is going to be shorter than I want, I size up and have it altered.
3. No Mixing Colors. What??? Seriously? Today’s fashions are all about mixing colors. From navy and black to black and brown, you can mix and it can look fab. To make black and brown work, choose a cognac or luggage color brown, so you have some contrast. In addition, bright colors like pink and red can work together if you get the shades right. To figure out a good color combo, check this color wheel and tips out.
Style is about experimenting and putting things together that you don’t think really go together. What rules do you break?
April 16, 2011 Comments Off on 3 Rules That Are Meant To Be Broken
I bought this Maxi on eBay and decided to give it a spin the other day. My son thought I looked like a freak, but I really liked it! Now, to me, maxi skirts can be worn by anyone — tall or short. The secret in in the length and fullness. If you’re on the shorter side, choose a straighter skirt that hits right past your ankle, you don’t want it dragging on the ground.
The Outfit Deets
Top: Target Boyfriend Tee
Necklace: Ralph Lauren
Skirt: Ebay Wyatt is the brand
Sandals: Steve Madden
Belts: Double brown braided belt from ASOS; flower clasp belt from Top Shop
April 15, 2011 2 Comments
We had our son’s Confirmation last night. It was a lovely event and I’m so proud of him! I finally broke out a dress I featured several months ago in this post. The dress is from Zou Zou Boutique. The only change I made was to add a gold chunky bracelet on bare arm. I didn’t get any photos of me alone in the dress but here’s my fab family!
April 10, 2011 Comments Off on The Dress
Rather than buy out the stores each season, I’ve vowed to become more selective and buy only a few new items. So far, I bought the green top in this post, a crochet oversized cardigan and a crossbody bag from Nine West. Here are the other items I’m lusting after. My birthday is next month, so I’m hoping a few of them will be birthday presents!
1. Snakeskin Shoes: I have a snakeskin clutch from The Limited that I bought years ago. Snakeskin or faux snakeskin is a trend for Spring that I feel will carry through to Fall.
My favs: Ann Taylor Snakeskin Knot Pump
2. Maxi Skirt. Now, I could be wrong, but I don’t think this trend will last for several seasons, maybe through Fall. After all, maxi dresses have been around for a few seasons now. Because of that and the fact that I probably won’t wear it a lot, I don’t want to spend a lot of money on this style. I love the pleated look, although neither of these are pleated. Kris in of A Thrifty LA Life found a perfect white pleated skirt at Goodwil. I want this one! But, these will do.
My favs: Lulu’s Citrus Orange Maxi Skirt
3. Tassel Belt. I love tassels and would love to try to make one of these belts. So, any of my crafty friends, if you’d like to help me, speak up!
April 9, 2011 3 Comments
A new boutique opened near me, called Tinka’s Closet. I’ve noticed a trend toward these lower-priced boutiques opening in Central Florida. They all feature unknown brands with prices ranging from $20 to $50 for tops, skirts and dresses. Tinka’s is no different–a selection of reasonably priced accessories and some cute tops and dresses. I found this top there. Cute, huh?
The Outfit Deets
Top: Double from Tinka’s Closet
Jeans: J Crew high heel flare
Shoes: Nude espadrilles from Banana Republic
Necklace: Stella and Dot
April 7, 2011 1 Comment